Historical Markers on Map

Historical Markers

SuperUser Account
/ Categories: Historical Markers

Andice Baptist Church

Andice Baptist Church

Texas Historical Commission Marker Number: 9029

Year Dedicated:  1976

Marker Size: 18″ x 28″

Andice Baptist Church Photo Courtesy Williamson Museum

Andice Baptist Church Photo Courtesy Williamson Museum

Andice Baptist Church Photo Courtesy Williamson Museum

Andice Baptist Church Photo Courtesy Williamson Museum

Marker Text: 

The Rev. Freeman Smalley, one of the first Baptists in Texas, preached in this area about 1850. This church was organized about 1851, meeting in a log schoolhouse built by Joshua Stapp and others, 1854-76; in a new school building, 1876-94; and in a structure of its own at Pilot Knob, 1894-1936. Successively called “Stapp,” “White House,” and “Pilot Knob” Baptist Church, the congregation moved to Andice in 1936. It now worships near the original site, where the first pastor, Josiah Andrews, used to hang his pistol on a peg on the hewn, oak-stump Bible stand while he preached.   (1976)

Address: 6570 FM 970

Primary City: Andice

Secondary Town(s): none

Additional Information:  Per WCHC notebook: “Marker Sponsors: Harold B. Asher and Jimmie H. Asher”

Latitude: 30.782232
Longitude: -97.854051

Verified Location:  Verified 1/2/2017

Previous Article Amos-Godbey House
Next Article Andrew J. Palm House
Print
103