What
  • Bridges
  • Cemeteries
  • Historical Markers
  • Oral Histories
  • Towns
Where
Print Friendly, PDF & Email

Jollyville Community and School

Texas Historical Commission Marker Number: 14052

Year Dedicated:  1983

Marker Size: 18″ x 28″

Marker Text: 

This area was first settled in the 1840s by Henry Rhodes. He was soon joined by such pioneers as Elisha Prewitt, who fought in the Battle of San Jacinto, and Civil War veterans Elisha Rhodes, J. Bryon Jenkins, and William H. Thompson, whose home at this site served as a stage stop. In 1866 Confederate veteran John G. Jolly established the Jollyville community. The owner of a store and blacksmith shop, he gave land for a cemetery and for a school (200 ft. W), which was merged with Pond Springs in 1903. Later growth in the Jollyville area resulted from nearby urban development.     (1983)

Additional Plaques:

12″ x 6″ supplemental plate below 18″ x 28″ plate (NOTE:  In 2017 & 2019 this plate is missing from the pole; however, in WCHC’s notebook it states it was installed):  In 1987 this marker was moved 87 feet south of its original location.  The school site is now northwest, rather than west, of the marker’s location.

Plaque in cement at base of marker pole:  Dedicated in preservation of our heritage February 19, 1983 by the Jollyville Sertoma Club

Incised on back:  To honor the memory of Mr. & Mrs. Wm. H. Thompson, their family and descendants, Mr. & Mrs. J. F. Thompson, Jr., Mr. & Mrs. David L. Thompson, co-sponsored by the Jollyville Sertoma Club.

Address: 12881-12883 Pond Springs Rd

Primary City: Austin

Secondary Town(s): Jollyville

Additional Information:  Marker is in the parking lot of Red Barn Nursery (2017) – pictures below.

  • 2019 UPDATE:  Red Barn Nursery moved from this location – currently it is vacant (pictures above in 2019).

Longitude: -97.7711

Latitude: 30.4368

Verified Location:  Verified 1/6/2017 & 2/22/2017

Pictures taken in 2017 when Red Barn Nursery occupied the site: