What
  • Bridges
  • Cemeteries
  • Historical Markers
  • Oral Histories
  • Towns
Where
Print Friendly, PDF & Email

Cobb

Texas Historical Marker: no

  • Primary Town: Florence
  • Secondary Town(s): none
  • Cemetery Relocated to: no relocation

Historic Texas Cemetery Designation: no

  • Williamson County Clerk Instrument Number: 1993023342, 1996005280, 2007032515 & 2012014593
  • Williamson Central Appraisal District Property ID: R009919, R009800, & R549495

Notes:

2016 WCAD 601 CR 239, Florence

WCHC’s 1999 Volume III, pg 77: Per Mrs. Marvin Edwards in 1984 – cemetery on her property located off CR 239, first gate on left from SH 195. Gate is kept locked, & owners must be contacted to visit these graves. Mr. Cobb’s grave is located near the springs about 3 or 4 miles from house; terrain is very rough, access by truck or four-wheel drive only. Grave down by springs: (Original owner of property) A.M. Cobb 1/4/1812 – 3/30/1887.  [The remaining sentences of paragraph in the WCHC notebook are not included here as they are describing Chalk Ridge Cemetery.]”

N of Hwy 195 & CR 239 intersection. Near Cobbs Cavern. S of Cobbs Springs Branch.

Ronald Reagan Rd (FM 734) & CR 239 area, N Hwy 195 (very close to where Ronald Reagan Road was constructed in 2010’s).

Some history on property ownership per John Christeson in Find-A-Grave under Chalk Ridge Cemetery – located near Cobb Cemetery on the same property…”on the 4T Ranch [2010 = changed name to CCR Holdings 1 LLC & Lyda Holdings LLC] owned by the Lyda Family Trust, PO Box 1757, Georgetown, TX.  The Trust also owns & operates the Monument Cafe on Austin Ave in Georgetown. The 4T Ranch is operated as a Wildlife Management Preserve.”

After further research in 2019, there are 2 cemeteries (Chalk Ridge & Cobb) located on the Wildlife Management Preserve which encompasses the Cobb Cavern 64.4 acre Conservation Easement purchased by the Williamson County Conservation Foundation in 2007; a portion of the springshed for Cobb Springs, home to the Georgetown salamander; and a building used by people to gather before entering the eastern side of the cave on a limited basis as a show cave from 1962 through the early 1970’s.

The address for the home of Marvin B. Edwards is 601 CR 239, Florence.

The gate shown in the picture above is approximately 493 feet W of Highway 195 & CR 239 intersection–John Christeson noting coordinates as 30.75916, -97.72604 at the gate entrance.

Coordinates are centroid of Pleasant Bull Survey Abstract A-70 from Google Earth – even though the “Grave” is marked on Appendix 3-A in Document 2007032515, Topographic Map of the Cobb Cavern 64.4 acre Conservation Easement (see pictures below for a portion of document 2007032515).

Location is Approximate (1999 Map Information): (1999 mapped D2) verified 9/6

Longitude: -97.7274675

Latitude: 30.7981426