Texas Historical Marker: yes
- Primary Town: Granger
- Secondary Town(s): none
- Cemetery Relocated to: Granger City
Historic Texas Cemetery Designation: yes
- Williamson County Clerk Instrument Number: 2011044787
- Williamson Central Appraisal District Property ID: R347050
Machu Cemetery Photo Courtesy Nancy Bell March 2017
Relocation Coordinates are: 30.717530 -97.425066, located about 1 mile E of Granger on Hwy 971 & just S of the Granger Brethren Cemetery.
In October 1972, the Army Corps of Engineers began construction on the Laneport Dam & Lake (renamed by Congress as Granger Dam & Lake on January 3, 1975 after the largest town in the vicinity). A total of 4 cemeteries were moved from their original locations as they would have ended up under Granger Lake upon the completion of Granger Dam. The Corps purchased a 3 acre site adjoining the Granger Brethren & Granger City Cemeteries & moved the contents of the 4 cemeteries to that site before the dam was operational on January 21, 1980.
From www.grangerbrethren.org/cemetery: “Two cemeteries have served as the resting places of a majority of the members of the Granger Brethren Church, the Machu Cemetery & the official church cemetery. The Machu Cemetery preceded the church cemetery by 33 years, having been established 9 years before the congregation itself was organized. On Nov. 17, 1916, the Granger Brethren congregation purchased two acres of land from M. Schramm for the church cemetery. This site is located about a mile east of Granger & adjoins the Catholic Cemetery to the north & the city cemetery to the west.”
The mapped coordinates are the approximate original site location for historical purposes.
Location is Approximate (1999 Map Information): OK 10/28