What
  • Bridges
  • Cemeteries
  • Historical Markers
  • Oral Histories
  • Towns
Where
Print Friendly, PDF & Email

A. S. Mason House

Texas Historical Commission Marker Number: 13802

Year Dedicated:  1983

Marker Size: Medallion & Plate

Marker Text: 

Local farmer Alpheus S. Mason (1839-1926) constructed this house about 1866. Situated on Bagdad Road, an important early military and commercial route in central Texas, the home features a double-galleried porch with Victorian detailing. Mason, a veteran of the Civil War, was instrumental in the early growth of Bagdad (now a ghost town) and Leander (3 mi. NE) through his leadership in church, business, Masonic, and political activities.     Recorded Texas Historic Landmark – 1983

Address: 600 S Bagdad Rd (CR 278)

Primary City: Leander

Secondary Town(s): none

Additional Information: across from Bledsoe Park

Longitude: -97.866108

Latitude: 30.566966

Verified Location:  Verified 1/7/2017 & 4/2017  In 2017, house was being renovated.  After renovations–contact owner BATES, JEFFERSON E & ASHLEY M, R031364, to get close up picture of marker.