What
  • Bridges
  • Cemeteries
  • Historical Markers
  • Oral Histories
  • Towns
Where
Print Friendly, PDF & Email

Amos-Godbey House

Texas Historical Commission Marker Number: 15136

Year Dedicated:  1988

Marker Size: Medallion & Plate

 

Marker Text: 

Built in 1909 by the C.S. Belford Lumber Company, this was originally the home of Southwestern University German professor Martin C. Amos (d. 1911) and his family. It was later purchased by another member of the University faculty, Chemistry professor John Campbell Godbey, who lived here until 1965. Features of the home include a gambrel roof and three-bay inset front porch with stone piers.    Recorded Texas Historic Landmark – 1988.

Incised in Base:  Sponsored by Jodie and Charles Steger

Additional Plaques:

Entered in The National Register of Historic Places – 1986

Georgetown Heritage Society c. 1909 Amos-Godbey House

Address: 1408 Olive

Primary City: Georgetown

Secondary Town(s): none

Additional Information: at E 15th

Longitude: -97.6672

Latitude: 30.6311

Verified Location:  Verified 1/16/2017 & 2/24/2017