What
  • Bridges
  • Cemeteries
  • Historical Markers
  • Oral Histories
  • Towns
Where
Print Friendly, PDF & Email

Cabin from Gabriel Mills Area

Texas Historical Commission Marker Number: 9097

Year Dedicated:  1976

Marker Size: Medallion & Plate

Marker Text: 

This cabin of squared logs and hand-hewn limestone was built in the early 1850s near the village of Gabriel Mills (20 mi. NW). It stood on property owned in 1850-53 by Samuel Mather (1812-78), miller and blacksmith who first settled the area. The structure housed church, school, and Masonic lodge meetings before it became a dwelling. Given to Georgetown by Mr. and Mrs. Emile Jamail, it was restored in 1975 in a community effort to preserve local pioneer heritage.    Recorded Texas Historic Landmark – 1976

Incised in base:   Sponsors: Mr. and Mrs. Don Scarbrough

Address: 3300 E Palm Valley Blvd

Primary City: Round Rock

Secondary Town(s): none

Additional Information: E Palm Valley Blvd (US 79) at Harrell Pkwy, in Old Settlers Park behind Old Settlers Association’s office as of 2005 (original location cabin built in Gabriel Mills then moved about 1975 to W Austin Ave at S 16 St, in Old Town Park in Georgetown – where in 1976 the historical marker was placed on the cabin).

Longitude: -97.6344

Latitude: 30.5273

Verified Location:  Verified 3/15/2017      Coordinates for first relocation in Georgetown:  30.63054507 -97.67800546