What
  • Bridges
  • Cemeteries
  • Historical Markers
  • Oral Histories
  • Towns
Where
Print Friendly, PDF & Email

Gabriel Mills

Texas Historical Commission Marker Number: 9096

Year Dedicated:  1975

Marker Size: 18″ x 28″

Marker Text: 

Samuel Mather settled here in 1849, building a gristmill on the North San Gabriel in 1852. John G. Stewart opened a store near the mill. A small log cabin was in use by 1854 for church, school and lodge meetings. A post office was established in 1858, Mather being postmaster. W. L. Brizendine owned the mill by 1865, adding a cotton gin. Known as Mather’s Mill, Brizendine Mill, or Gabriel Mills, the village thrived until Austin & Northwestern Railroad bypassed it (1881); then a decline began. The post office closed in 1905, and by the 1920s the town itself had disappeared.   (1975)

NOTE IN WCHC NOTEBOOK: “Incise on back:  Marker Sponsors:  Harold Asher and Joan B. Davis”

Address: 2700 block CR 236

Primary City: Gabriel Mills

Secondary Town(s): none

Additional Information: S of intersection with CR 207, W side of road    Marker is reported missing in 2016; Google map shows marker in 2011

Longitude: -97.92088

Latitude: 30.780413

Verified Location:  Verified 1/1/2017 & 5/16/2017