What
  • Bridges
  • Cemeteries
  • Historical Markers
  • Oral Histories
  • Towns
Where
Print Friendly, PDF & Email

Leander United Methodist Church

Texas Historical Commission Marker Number: 9289

Year Dedicated:  1981

Marker Size: 18″ x 28″

Marker Text: 

This church was organized about 1860 in the nearby community of Bagdad (1 mi. W). Early worship services were conducted by local preachers and missionaries in a log schoolhouse and a Masonic lodge hall before a sanctuary was constructed there in 1879. The church moved to Leander in 1901, following development of the railroad town. The Bagdad sanctuary was relocated at this site on land deeded by Sarah J. Walker. Many prominent area leaders have been members here, including several who later became ministers. (1981)

Address: 107 S West Dr

Primary City: Leander

Secondary Town(s): none

Additional Information: S West Dr (CR 274)

Longitude: -97.855702

Latitude: 30.577024

Verified Location:  Verified 1/5/2017 & 3/2/2017