What
  • Bridges
  • Cemeteries
  • Historical Markers
  • Oral Histories
  • Towns
Where
Print Friendly, PDF & Email

Leander

Texas Historical Commission Marker Number: 9259

Year Dedicated:  1975

Marker Size: 18″ x 28″

After Refinishing (10/2018).  “Before” picture is below at the end of listing.

Marker Text: 

Leander grew from the once thriving town of Bagdad, founded in 1854 (1 mi. W). When the Austin & Northwestern Railroad bypassed Bagdad in 1882, a new town was surveyed and named for railroad official Leander Brown (1817-89). Homes and businesses from the older community quickly moved to the new site along the rail line. The post office was brought here from Bagdad in 1882. The school started here in 1893 has grown into the largest school district in Williamson County. Originally in a rural area, Leander has boomed in recent years due to Highland Lakes development. (1975)

Address: 209 S Hwy 183

Primary City: Leander

Secondary Town(s): none

Additional Information: US Hwy 183 right of way (left of Pioneer Appliance bldg)

Longitude: -97.852199

Latitude: 30.576807

Verified Location:  Verified 12/4/2016 & 1/2/2017 & 3/2/2017 & 3/8/2017            3 markers side by side

“Before” picture of marker before Oct 2018 refinishing: