What
  • Bridges
  • Cemeteries
  • Historical Markers
  • Oral Histories
  • Towns
Where
Print Friendly, PDF & Email

Preslar-Hewitt Building

Texas Historical Commission Marker Number: 13070

Year Dedicated:  2004

Marker Size: Medallion & Plate

Marker Text: 

The early growth of Taylor as a vital cotton and railroad center is reflected in its historic business district.  Hugo Hunke built this two-story commercial structure in 1914 to anchor an important block.  It provided first floor space for two businesses and up to seven offices on the second floor.  Early occupants included Strand Tailors and Menefee Grocery.  It has served a variety of other businesses, but is remembered as the site of Preslar-Hewitt Pharmacy, 1929-1954.  Detailing includes pilasters, capitals, transoms, decorative tilework and an entablature with dentil course.       Recorded Texas Historic Landmark – 2004

Address: 321 N Main St

Primary City: Taylor

Secondary Town(s): none

Additional Information: none

Longitude: -97.409848

Latitude: 30.570512

Verified Location:  Verified 2/2/2017