What
  • Bridges
  • Cemeteries
  • Historical Markers
  • Oral Histories
  • Towns
Where
Print Friendly, PDF & Email

Site of a Block House

Texas Historical Commission Marker Number: 9033

Year Dedicated:  1936

Marker Size: 1936 Centennial – Subject Marker (gray granite)

Marker Text: 

Site of a Block House.  Built by Texas Rangers under Captain John J. Tumlinson in 1836.  Destroyed by Indians in 1837.  This was the first white man’s post in Williamson County.      Erected by the State of Texas 1936

Address: 100-120 Block House Dr

Primary City: Leander

Secondary Town(s): Cedar Park

Additional Information: N Bell Blvd (US Hwy 183), 1.5 mi S of RM 2243 (Leander Rd) at Block House Dr

Longitude: -97.839389

Latitude: 30.542914

Verified Location:  Verified 12/4/2016 & 5/16/2017