What
  • Bridges
  • Cemeteries
  • Historical Markers
  • Oral Histories
  • Towns
Where
Print Friendly, PDF & Email

Site of Gano Community

Texas Historical Commission Marker Number: 12700

Year Dedicated:  1997

Marker Size: 18″ x 28″

Marker Text: 

Settlement in this area began in the 1870s. The Wilder family operated a cotton gin, grist mill, blacksmith shop and general store. Other pioneer residents included the Allcorn, Watson, Casey, Gambrell, Gregory, and Howe families. By the 1890s the community was named Gano in honor of Confederate General R.M. Gano and included a post office, school and church. The town began to decline after the general store closed. The church building was not rebuilt after a storm, and the school was consolidated with Milam County schools in 1919. Few vestiges of the town remain.     (1997)

Address: 50 CR 441

Primary City: Thorndale

Secondary Town(s): none

Additional Information: S of 79 on FM 486, 6.8 mi, left CR 441, 220 ft on right

Longitude: -97.1873

Latitude: 30.5227

Verified Location:  Verified 1/24/2017 & 3/24/2017