What
  • Bridges
  • Cemeteries
  • Historical Markers
  • Oral Histories
  • Towns
Where
Print Friendly, PDF & Email

The Round Rock

Texas Historical Commission Marker Number: 9330

Year Dedicated:  1975

Marker Size: 18″ x 28″

Marker Text: 

A guide for Indians and early settlers, this table-shaped stone in the middle of Brushy Creek once marked an important low-water wagon crossing. Hundred-year-old wheel ruts are still visible in the creek bottom. The rocky stream bed also provided building stone for pioneer homes. “Brushy Creek” post office was established in 1851 to serve the settlement that grew up near this natural ford. At the urging of postmaster Thomas C. Oatts, it was renamed “Round Rock” in 1854. This name was retained when the town relocated along the railroad (1 mi. E) in 1877.     (1975)

NOTATION IN WCHC’S NOTEBOOK: “Through cooperation of State Commission this marker, which was stolen, was replaced, with revisions as shown above. There were two errors on the original, and these (a date and “Brushy” instead of “Brushy Creek” Post Office) were corrected in this version.”

Address: 701 Chisholm Trail

Primary City: Round Rock

Secondary Town(s): none

Additional Information: Chisholm Trail (CR 173) (Moffett St), at Brushy Creek, on limestone bridge support

Longitude: -97.6894

Latitude: 30.5133

Verified Location:  Verified 1/1/2017 & 3/15/2017