• Bridges
  • Cemeteries
  • Historical Markers
  • Oral Histories
  • Towns
Print Friendly, PDF & Email

William M. Owen House Complex

Texas Historical Commission Marker Number: 9315

Year Dedicated:  1982

Marker Size: 18″ x 28″

Marker Text: 

The earliest structure in this complex is the one-story stone building, constructed about 1853. It originally housed a mercantile store and the first permanent post office for Round Rock, both operated by Thomas C. Oatts, the town’s first postmaster. Built on the Pioneer Road from Austin to Georgetown, it was part of Round Rock’s early development. The two-story home was built about 1870 and for many years was the residence of Dr. William M. Owen, a prominent local physician and businessman. Both buildings reflect the style of other area structures of the 19th century.     Recorded Texas Historic Landmark – 1982

Address: 8 Chisholm Trail

Primary City: Round Rock

Secondary Town(s): none

Additional Information: Chisholm Trail (CR 173) (Moffett St)

Longitude: -97.6899

Latitude: 30.5151

Verified Location:  Verified 1/6/2017 & 3/15/2017     NOTE: Williamson Museum Satellite Location