What
  • Bridges
  • Cemeteries
  • Historical Markers
  • Oral Histories
  • Towns
Where
Print Friendly, PDF & Email

Williamson County Sun

Texas Historical Commission Marker Number: 13875

Year Dedicated:  1978

Marker Size: 18″ x 28″

Marker Text: 

First published on May 19, 1877, the “Williamson County Sun” was founded by Jessie E. Cooper (1855-1944). In its first century of operation, the “Sun” initiated numerous civic projects, such as the building of the first railroad in Georgetown, Wesleyan Retirement Home, and low cost housing. Editors of the paper included Frank T. Roche, John R. Allen, John M. Sharpe, and Robert W. Cooper, son of the founder. Donald and Clara Scarbrough became the second full owners of the enterprise in 1948. The oldest newspaper in Williamson County, the weekly “Sun” became a semi-weekly in 1974.    (1978)

Address: 707-709 S Main St

Primary City: Georgetown

Secondary Town(s): none

Additional Information: none

Longitude: -97.676868

Latitude: 30.637091

Verified Location:  Verified 1/5/2017