St. John Bosco Convent, Taylor, Texas – Summary of Gumisindo Gonzales’ Talk
Long-time Taylor resident, Gumisindo Gonzales, was among the five speakers presenting oral histories at the first “Deep in the Heart of Taylor” story night at Taylor’s Moody Museum, October 13, 2018.
Father Paul A. Lewis began serving Our Lady of Guadalupe Church in Taylor in 1946. In that same year, he invited Sister Guadalupe de la Paz from his previous parish in Roma, Texas, to expand St. Mary’s Catholic School in Taylor. “Sister Lupe” formed a community of sisters to teach the Catholic faith to the children.
A convent was built in 1948 by the men of the parish, a block from the Mustang Creek Golf Club in Taylor. It became home to as many as 11 dedicated sisters. They served the parishes of Our Lady of Guadalupe in Taylor, Sacred Heart in Elgin, St. Williams in Round Rock, St. Joseph’s in Rockdale, St. Helen’s in Georgetown, Santa Rosa in Andice and Good Shepherd in Lampasas. During the summer months when many Hispanic families migrated to Minnesota, the sisters worked in parishes located in the barrios of New York City.
As Mother Superior of the community of sisters, Sister Lupe made sure that dress codes were enforced and that everyone attended classes. In the event of a problem, a visit to the child’s parents always resolved the issue.
Other sisters that served our community included Sister Michael, who retired to San Antonio. Sister Lucinda served this parish for 25 years and later served as director of religious education for a Fort Worth parish. Sister Joseph was the last to leave the convent after serving Our Lady of Guadalupe for 69 years. She died in 2016 at the age of 92.
The sisters of St. John Bosco served three generations of parishioners at Our Lady of Guadalupe in Taylor from 1946 to 2016.
Click here for the transcript of the audio file