Andice Baptist Church Photo Courtesy Williamson Museum
Click here to view Cemeteries in Andice
Click here to view Historical Markers in Andice
Andice, originally called Stapp, later Berry’s Creek. Joshua Stapp built a log school-church near a spring on his place in 1857, where Cumberland Presbyterians, Methodists and Baptists held union services. In 1876 Andrew “Buck” Jackson operated a small store near there on upper Berry’s Creek, was appointed postmaster of Berry’s Creek post office, October 30, 1876, succeeded by Benjamin W. Stapp, July 17, 1879; A. Jackson, November 13, 1879; office discontinued December 1, 1879.
Reverend William Isaac Newton and his wife, both of whom attended Liberty Normal & Business College at Liberty Hill, were living in soon-to-be Andice community in the 1890s. Newton was pastor of Union Hall Church east of Liberty Hill. Their son, Audice, was born January 5, 1899, and soon after this event Newton applied for a post office, requesting that it be named “Audice.” Postal officials misread the name, approved the office as “Andice,” November 28, 1899, with Newton as postmaster.
White House School, south of Andice, built by 1877, served Andice until about 1925. Andice School consolidated with Florence in 1967. In 1973 Andice had Dollahon Grocery, Gus and Ben T. Jacob’s grocery-meat market and slaughterhouse, Andice Baptist Church, Santa Rosa of Lima Catholic Church.
Clara Stearns Scarbrough, Land of Good Water: A Williamson County History (Georgetown, Texas: Williamson County Sun Publishers, 1973, Fifth printing, 1998).
Located near intersection of FM 970 & RR 2338.